Saturday, July 25, 2015

Sponsor Spotlight - Stampington

Hi everyone - Julia here.....Today it's my turn to share a Sponsor Spotlight project using some wonderful ephemera images from Stampington who are generously sponsoring our challenge this month. For further details of our latest challenge and Stampington's sponsorship offer, please click here.

I have chosen to work with a set of images by the talented Debrina Platt and you can find them here.

I'm not completely in my comfort zone when using digital images but these certainly caught my eye and I've had such fun playing with them!! Here's what I made along with details of the steps I took:


To start a piece of foam board is cut to size and given two coats of titan buff fluid acrylic. Images are then stamped and stencilled in prussian blue fluid acrylic in a random fashion.
The chosen image is torn out from the sheet which is printed on a laser printer - you can use an inkjet for image transfer but the results are much better with a laser printout. Make sure you tear and not cut the image out. This prevents hard edges when your image is transferred. Matte Medium is used to transfer the image and you can find the method here.
 This image shows how the stamped and stencilled background is clearly visible through the transferred image. Even the colour on her cheeks has transferred perfectly - I'm so pleased with my new printer!
Some of the printed images are glued to mount board scraps and some cog shapes are die cut. The white edges are inked with the marker.
The cogs are stencilled randomly using a mix of titan buff and a tiny amount of prussian blue fluid acrylic.
A piece of plastic tube is used to stamp some small rings in gold metallic fluid acrylic. The centre scrap from the die cut is finished with a little aged gold embossing powder. The edges of the cogs are also finished with a little of the same embossing powder.
One of the smaller cogs. I love using embossing powder in a random way like this.
The rusted mesh in this image is a die cut which has been given a quick paint rust finish and then applied over the base. A cog is then attached to the mesh.
The edges of the foam board are painted and stamped as described earlier. The little black dots near the top of the image are rub ons.
An extra piece of foam board has been added using rusty wire at the top and the bottom of the project. The foam board has been treated in the same way as the main background with paint, stencils, stamps and mark makers. A section of a die cut clock has been rusted using paints and texture medium then applied.
This image shows the bottom piece which is attached with rusty wire (just visible below the letters B and Y) and the die cut mesh which extends from the main piece. 
The letters are die cut from mount board which has been covered with sections of the Stampington images. They are given a thin coat of quinacridone gold followed by crackle glaze and antiquing with raw umber. 
The rusty wire is curled around the letter base as described earlier.

Detail image.
Detail image.
Detail image.
I hope you enjoyed seeing how I used this fab set of images. I will certainly be going to Stampington again to choose some more images to work with - I'm a convert!

Thank you so much for visiting today.

20 comments:

  1. Fantastic ideas and techniques on this stunning project

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning creation, Julia, lovely texture in the background and on letters!! TFS in detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Laura, this is amazing! I love how the colours on the face image transferred to the canvas. Clever you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word this is such a beautiful piece and the layers of stamping and stencilling shine through the transfer. My printer is inkjet so that is all I have ever worked with but I can just imagine the superiority of laser for this purpose.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the tuto. Your creation is perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally amazing Julia! Such fabulous detail and vintage style. Just love it!
    Fliss xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This came out great Julia, love the techniques you've used xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your piece is so very gorgeous! Each detail adds to the wonderful project. And, your transfer method worked beautifully - I have tried a couple of times - but it just doesn't come out well enough to use. Thanks for sharing your lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Julia! this is quite amazing. All those wonderful textures and colours and your work on the face image is just stunning. Fabulous x

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOWIE, Julia!! This is such a cool mixed-media creation! I love the digital images you've chosen--I wouldn't have known the images were digital if you hadn't shown us your steps! I love all of the rusty & crackly elements you've included :) Just a Fabulous project for our Stampington Sponsor Spotlight!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  11. Julia!! Just gorgeousness!! I love every step of this piece and will absolutely bookmark it for inspiration! What fabulous use of all the elements involved!xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, amazing and a joy to see as always Julia - You never cease to amaze me with your creativity. I have always been and always will be in awe of your talent! Lots of love L xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julia - this is absolutely perfect, so much detail and visual interest. Loving every bit of it! - Candice

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE what you make every time you make something! You totally amaze me! Gorgeous work of art!!! Hugs xxxx Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome sauce! This design is so cool and detailed. Wowzers! TFS! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing work, Julia! You really did a great job spotlighting those images, and what a great transfer you made! I'm really in love with that rusted paint job you did, and would love any information you might provide on that! I am a rust fanatic, and you have done an outstanding job with your rusted pieces here! Thank you for sharing your process in this fab tutorial! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic - Can I ask why printer you got please. I'm wanting a new one and would love a laser but it's like a mine field knowing which one to get!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowzers! I love it, Julia!

    What a great way of using the wonderful digis and still making it a "Julia"-style project! Well done, you! Mwah! XXX Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx