Thursday, December 6, 2012

Top Talent Thursday



Welcome back to
Our Creative Corner.

It is with utmost pleasure that I present to you this Thursday all the way from the United Kingdom, a very talented card-maker, mastering many genres and who describes herself, and I quote; 
"Being of a stubborn and contrary disposition, I do not like to be defeated!"
Please welcome and congratulate our Guest and ‘Top Talent’ this week and the winner of our Silhouette Challenge;
JOAN:
We are so thrilled to showcase her work, but first let us learn a little bit about her.

Questions:
1.) ‘Where do you Live’?
I live in a village called Hampsthwaite, about 5 miles from Harrogate and in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales

2.) About how many hours do you spend crafting per week?
Too many!  I usually spend a few hours each night. Being a night owl I rarely stop before midnight and if I’m really enjoying what I’m doing it can be 1 or 2am. Recently I’ve been spending more time in the afternoons too, we are retired and housework is low on my list of priorities.
( Ha! Joan I fear you are not alone re the household chores!)

3.) How long have you been crafting and what made you start crafting?
I’ve always messed about with something, making clothes for my sisters dolls when we were quite young, took evening classes in art when I left school, I have done quite a lot of water colour painting  classes, also calligraphy . About twenty years ago I saw my first rubber stamps at a little Christmas fair and I was hooked, I bought a set of stamps (foam backed in a plastic wallet) a pot of embossing powder and an ink pad ,when I got home I didn’t know what to do with them. Fortunately I met a lady who kindly invited me into her home and showed me how to use them. I joined a craft club and then started taking classes with Dyan Reveley  who was just starting out on her own and later some with Kay from Indigo Blue.

4.) Do you have your own creative space in your home?
To my great regret I don’t have my own craft room but I have taken over our dining room, we rarely entertain other than family and they put up with the clutter. I do have to have a major clear up for Christmas though!

5.) What colour inspires your creativity?
That’s a hard question! My favourite projects are vintage and I love the shabby colours, browns, creams,  dusky pinks and soft greens but then again I love red too.
( These are my favourites too!)

6.) Any insight/Inspiration you would like to share with someone starting out in this hobby?
Enjoy what you do!  experiment, try new techniques, if it doesn’t work first time have another go. There is a wealth of information and tuition on the internet and most of its free. If you don’t understand, ask!  Crafters are the friendliest people on earth.
( I concur.)





















Thank you Joan for being our 'Thursday's Top Talent'.  and sharing such wonderful inspiration with us!

JOANS BLOG:
Late Night Stamping.

If you'd like the chance to be part of 'Top Talent Thursday'.at Our Creative Corner, simply join in our current challenge 'Santa Claus is coming'; here!
There is still time to participate.

Smiles:)
Sue.

"The person born with a talent they are meant to use will find their greatest happiness in using it."
~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


3 comments:

  1. Joan you are a multi-talented lady!! What a true pleasure to read more about you and see another of your beautiful makes. I dream of the day I can craft into the wee hours of the night, but I'm trying hard to stay awake until 9 pm! I've already got down the skipping of the chores..ha!
    So happy to have you as our Top Talent this week. You've been a real inspiration to me.
    Wonderful post as well Sue :) Loving your weekly showings.
    hugs,
    Lisa xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely gorgeous Vintage card Joan. Congrats on being Top Talent! Lovely to read about you. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the vintage card, Joan - and I love your answers, and especially your first description of yourself... I absolutely empathize!!

    Alison x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting Our Creative Corner! We will publish your comment as soon as possible.... Hope you come back to see us soon xxx